Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 29: Love's Motivation

DARE:Before you see your spouse again today, pray for them by name and for their needs. Whether it comes easy for you or not, say "I love you", and the express love to them in some tangible way. Go to God in prayer again, thanking him for giving you the privilege of loving this one special person -UNCONDITIONALLY, the way HE loves both of you.

Alright ladies....get on board with me. Today is what the whole dare is about - our motivation.

Ephesians 6:7 Render service with a good attitude as to the Lord and not to men.

So here is the question is ask myself, "Why do I love Cory?" If it is because of all those things I mentioned on a previous dare, you know the one where I said he is hot over and over again? Well, guess what? That isn't love! And i just learned that - that is lust. That is what drew me to him. Today's lesson is about unconditional love.

It didn't take long into the marriage or even dating to realize that Cory is not always going to motivate me to love him. There are actually times he does things to de-motivate my love for him - like farting in places other than the bathroom (I know I'm weird right?), picking at his callaces (sp?), and I'm sure I can name more....but even deeper. There may be times when I want to express my love to him, and refuses it. The book says this is normal, even in healthy relationships. Moods and emotions change, but one thing is guaranteed, GOD is our reason for loving our spouse. That's because ALL love comes from HIM!

Here are some things the book says to think about and what our goals in our life should be:
WORK: Col 3:23 Do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men
SERVICE: Col 3:22 Obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord.
EVERYTHING: Work hard at whatever you do, knowing that form the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. Col 3:23-24
MARRIAGE: Wives be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands love you wives as Christ loved the church and gave his life for it. Eph 5:25

Wow..those are tough! I'm tying this at work, because our internet is down at the house, and read them to a co-worker...we laughed about the first three because we are facing struggles at work...but it is amazing how if we just plant the right seed of love, God will bless us...it will change out attitudes towards everything, even a stressful job and stressful marriage.

Love that is demanded from me in a marriage is not dependent on your mate's sweetness of suitability. I might need to say that again to let it sink in. Love that is demanded from me in a marriage is not dependent on your mate's sweetness of suitability. The love between a husband and wife should have one chief objective: honoring the LORD with devotion and sincerity. This has to be a change of focus - We have to be able to wake up and know that God is our source and supply and that changes the whole reason to interact and love your mate, and everyone around you.

I know the situations of some of you reading this. Your husbands may be tuning you out and acting uninterested and you feel HURT! Don't battle this back with silence and inattention. Love him anyway. "As to the Lord"

No comments:

Post a Comment