Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 8: Love is not Jealous...

Dare: Determine to become your spouse's biggest fan and to reject any thoughts of jealousy. To help you set your heart on your spouse and focus on their achievements, take yesterday's list of negative attributes and discreetly burn it. Then share with your spouse how glad you are about a success he or she recently enjoyed.

Did you know we serve a funny God? Sometimes I wonder if he sits and laughs at me sometimes. One of my favorite memories of my daddy was him laughing at me. Before he died, I remember begging him to let me mow the grass on the riding lawn mower. I remember doing just fine, and then all of sudden I got stuck in a corner. After countless efforts of trying to maneuver it out of the corner, I looked up and saw daddy standing there with cap in hand, scratching his head and just laughing at me. Of course, I didn't find it all that funny at first, but then when I saw how funny it was to him, I started laughing too! Sometimes, I think of God that way. He sits up there in Heaven watching me maneuver my life like I know what to do with it, and watches me making a mess of it...knowing I would come back to him. I'm sure it breaks his heart too, but I bet the funniest moments to God are like something that happened yesterday....

Yesterday, I text Cory to see if I could crash his lunch plans and go eat with them. He said sure but they were going out to the causeway. That was too far for me for just an hour so I told him I would pass. He said they were taking the new co-op girl out to eat lunch. Jokingly, yet serious, I said "is she hot? I just got you to fall in love with me again...hehehe" He replied, "she is fairly attractive, but doesn't hold a candle to you!" Now that made my day!! However, when I sat down last night to just review what today's lesson had in store for me, I just busted out laughing. LOVE IS NOT JEALOUS. Really God?! I was just kidding...I'm not really that jealous, or am I?!

Of course, that isn't what today's lesson is exactly about, but thought it funny that I had jealous streak in me yesterday, and then God wants to tell me stop the next day! The lesson however describes two different kinds of jealously. Every daily lesson brings on a whole new outlook for me, and this one didn't fail me. God has not failed me!

1. legitimate jealously: this is when someone you love, who belongs to you, turns his or her heart away and replaces you with someone else. (tearing) The jealous person here longs to have back what is rightfully there's. You can relate this to God. I have always heard God was jealous God but didn't always get it. Well, now I do. It isn't that God is envious of us, wishing He had what we have. He already owns everything. It's that He deeply, sincerely longs for us, desiring for us to keep Him as his first love! I want God to be my first love. I posted on face book today for God to have hold of my life, because when I take over...It is a MESS!

2. Illegitimate jealously - this is the bad kind. This is opposite of love, the one that is rooted in selfishness and envy. I don't struggle with being jealous of what others have, or to be more popular, or any of that. Some do. Some of you reading this may struggle with wanting to be like others. I have struggles much more prominent than this. But I do have a problem with a form of this jealously. And it is very common. This jealously is throughout the Bible: Cain, Sarah, Joseph's brothers, the chief priests against Jesus. And it still exists today, even in me.

When Cory and I were married, I'm sure he would say what the books says. I was his biggest fan. His biggest cheerleader. I always wanted the enjoyment of him. But then as we were married, selfishness sank in. I might be cleaning the house, doing the laundry, paying the bills, taking care of Naomi, working 50 hours a week, and he gets to go to his friends house and watch football! I like football too you know! Whether he was right or wrong, selfishness sank in. I have to give up my 'self' for this marriage. I should be happy he has good friends to watch Auburn football with, and not those that would sit around and just get drunk watching the game. I should be thankful he wants to watch football and not go hang out at some bar until 4 in the morning. I should be thankful that football is his passion. We aren't competing for who does what at the house. I'm guilty of this. I'm jealous that a pile of laundry can sit there for two days and it not bother him. I'm jealous that he can relax when I have to get ready for the next day...but you know what?! Who cares anymore? He is the love of my life!!! Anything that makes him feel better is what I want for him...and you know what? With that attitude, you would be shocked how much he has helped him this week! SHOCKED!

So, since I can't shred my list from yesterday(because I didn't want to list his negative things), I'm revamping some of my dare today. Today, I will focus on making an effort to publicly praise him. Brag on him. Tell him how proud I am of him. Throw a celebration of his life, instead of wallowing in his weaknesses!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. oh, wow! I have a lot of that jealousy going on! It so bothers me when he just leaves stuff lying around! I need to change - big time! Thanks for opening my eyes! Love you!

    ReplyDelete