Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 9: Love makes good Impressions

DARE: Think of a specific way you'd like to greet your spouse today. Do it with a smile and enthusiasm. Then determine to change your greeting to reflect your love for them.

Well, good morning! I can just feel the Holy Spirit in my life. I'm happier. I look forward to waking up in the morning. I look forward to spending time with Him. It is really awesome feeling. I still have the scare. That fear that my world is about to crash..but as one of my friends said, WAKE UP AND PUT ON THE ARMOUR OF GOD! So, I am....everyday, I will put on my Armour!

Today's verse is "greet one another with a kiss of love - 1 Peter 5:14"

So, far I have been learning about showing love through patience, kindness, and encouragement. Even though they aren't always easy for me...it is amazing how easy they have been, with God changing my heart. Today's lesson is about something that may seem inconsequential, but this small thing can carry a surprising significance!

The book says that you can tell a lot about the state of a couple's relationship by how they greet one another. I have always found it funny to watch couples at a restaurant, and just watch their interaction. You can tell a lot about their history by how they relate to one another and speak to one another. This can be done without even a drop of physical contact. The Bible has a lot to say about this sort of thing.

Paul named each of his 27 friends in a greeting. Jesus stated on the sermon on the mount that even the pagans speak kindly to people they like, but what about the enemies? Being godly and being humble and gracious to address even your enemies is what Jesus commands. I think today's lesson goes back to something I said early on. I can be friendly and respectful to a total stranger, or walk on pins and needles at work just to make someone happy, but I don't have the same impact with my husband. When he and Naomi come home, I greet Naomi. Ask her about her day. If I would communicate more with him and acknowledge that i am happy to see him, how much would it increase his self-worth? It is kind of like that story of the prodigal son. No matter what he had done, how far away he was, his father saw him and ran and embraced him.

So for this dare, I plan to greet Cory at least with a hug EVERY TIME we have been away and I see him. I am happy to see him, so I need to show him that. I want him to be valued, to be missed, to be loved. I remember an old Sunday school teacher when I was in auburn told me that his wife made it a point to have herself and the kids greet her husband when he comes home, before the dog. To give as much excitement for him as the family pet. After all....isn't the dog a man's best friend?! Sounds like she has it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment